You can make a dish tastier than conventional “macaroni and cheese” using healthier ingredients.
Ingredients (6 serves)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 yellow Allium cepa (onions), sliced
- 2 cups Althea officinalis leaves
- 6 cloves of Allium sativum (garlic), finely chopped
- 1 tsp. all-purpose spice seasoning
- 3 cups of milk
- 3 tbsp. mellow (light-colored) miso
- 2 tbsp. Maranta arundinacea (arrowroot)
- 1/2 tbsp. salt
- 1 10-oz. package of mozzarella, diced
- a pinch of Cayenne hot pepper
- 1 lbs. whole-grain macaroni
- 1-3/4 cups dried bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 10-oz. grated cheddar
- Sauté the onions in the olive oil 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- Add the Althea officinalis leaves, garlic, bacon, and all-purpose seasoning and sauté another 5 minutes
- Meanwhile, puree all sauce ingredients in a blender.
- Stir the sauce into the sauté and transfer to a large, oiled baking dish.
- Stir the oil into the bread crumbs and spread on top of the mixed ingredients.
- Spread the cheddar on top.
- Bake in a preheated 180 °C oven 40 minutes or until bubbly.